Saturday, July 9, 2011

#048/100 Bats

Can somebody tell me how I can stop cutting myself into two halves so that I won't:

                         a/run away                         b/stretch my wings

to brace you? At the gate of the cemetery I'm toppling--a lovely moonlit night!--& trees are sprawling into bats. You're the biggest of them all, faceless evil across the sky:

                           'you've come too late, my child
                           tada tada tada'

                          *                                       *                                        *

Spare me your pity as I turn half-human, half-bat & you sing:

                           'you look like a face shaking off
                           one mask for another to hit the party'

Since you abandoned me & escaped to the other side, I've been wandering in & out of trees, looking for you. I've never been good at begging; I wasn't brought up that way.

                          *                                        *                                        *

You rocked me on a rock until my spine was crooked. Then you burnt my little feet into hooks, hung me upside down from your forearm by the river. Until a pigeon flew by & squeaked:

                          'drop that pure violet, you black-hearted
                          murderess witch'

The pigeon was a messenger from God or some goddamned entity from above. They had been watching all your sins while I was reborn a black stone.

                          *                                         *                                        *

Your sins are a many-splendored thing, like the way you hopped into a boat with a tumbler & floated down the river. In that moment I knew that he, the tumbler with a cunning smile, had become your child.

                          'a river of blood, I'll feed on nothing less
                          than your sacrifice'

& I knew your waving goodbye was forever.

                          *                                         *                                        *

Nobody told me I'd turn half-human, half-bat in time. I've munched on grass & roots--I was a vegetarian--but the lack of love has ripped my skin. I'm a bird that has shed its feathers.

                          'in the dark I'm calling you, you 
                          little bat gleaming by the tree'

The metamorphosis has taken life out of me. Mother, stop your wicked laughter.

1 comment:

  1. totally briliant...
    damn I wish I was able to write like this

    ReplyDelete