Friday, August 19, 2011

#086/100 Stars



















Click to enlarge. From left to right: Fuk Star, Luk Star and Sau Star, Chinese Gods of Fortune, Prosperity and Longevity; Tsai Shen Yeu, Chinese God of Fortune. By the window above my desk.

I have a genie who checks my connection with the other world from time to time and she has passed on a new message. That an ancestor of mine--probably a woman--wants my attention and they have been 'holding back' my luck  just a little bit lately to give me a kick. They spoke to me through my genie twice before and I didn't do anything. Ancestors? Really?

I suppose it makes sense. Why would I keep these statues of strange deities in my space, when those who share blood ties with me look on from a distance? As the story goes, the night I bought these statues at a funky Chinese store selling altar supplies (like Hell banknotes), I lost my wallet with a lot of cash in it, on a two-minute walk on my way home.

Now I'm on a quest to retrieve photos of Ancestors, which is looking to be a tough task. I'm only connected with my father's side of the family. Grandad's parents were blown into pieces during WWII, leaving no photographic evidence of their existence. Grandma was sold at the age of five by her parents, to live as the daughter of a childless couple on another island.

Grandma has stayed in touch with her real family. Now she'll have to make some phone calls to ask if I can visit a relative's home and bring a camera, so I can take pictures of those portraits that are hanging on the wall. It's hard to say if Grandma will manage to persuade them ("Granddaughter wants those images for writing stories"). Let's hope Ancestors will cooperate and let me do my job.

2 comments:

  1. This spoke to me in many ways. All I will say is pay attention the signs are there just open your eyes and mind:)

    Now on the other thought, I too have no records of my fathers- fathers side so all is a mystery. But I don't have the such an amazing story as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family history is important and it's good to connect the dots drama or mundane. Best luck!

    ReplyDelete